Sunday, January 9, 2011

Where is the busy bee

You probably noticed (or didn't notice, which really, in this case is the same thing) that I haven't written a lot of these lately. I've been busy, it slipped my mind, blah blah blah, it's the same reason that you haven't heard from your college roommate in two years or haven't seen your best friend from high school since two Christmases ago. Life got in the way.

Today's sermon (not up yet but should be soon) kind of talked about the things that get in our way and how we should try to add one thing to our ministry lives, and in my mind, I immediately started making excuses as to why I didn't need to try to do that. "I already do X, Y, and Z with the church, surely that's enough!" Then I immediately felt ridiculous.

It's still so easy to want to compartmentalize -- these are my church friends and those are my work friends, this is my God time and this is my me time -- but that's not really what we're after here. Deuteronomy 6:5 tells us to love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength, not just the fraction of it that is convenient for us. This is especially prescient because the explanation surrounding this verse and the previous chapter (which includes the Ten Commandments) explains that it's for our own good; in other words, we compartmentalize at our own peril.

So let's look at the New Year as an opportunity to concentrate a little better and do a better job filling in the gaps in our lives. Evangelism has always been a weak point in my spiritual life, and this is really the only regular opportunity I have, so I'm going to try to commit to do a better job with it. I hope that there are still people out there interested...

No comments:

Post a Comment